Ghana's Youth Creating Opportunities in Tough Times

by Kate Sem-Ackah

Ghana like most African country is a twenty first century growth frontier. Despite this huge potential, the current realities tell a different story. The availability of opportunities and distribution of wealth is still very minimal.  Mostly young people are at the receiving end of all this. The African Development Bank(AfDB) estimates the unemployment rate among the youth aged 15-24 in Ghana at 25.6%, twice that of the 25-44 age group’. In the face of economic challenges coupled with the inadequate job openings for the youth and the not so viable government interventions for small scale enterprises in Ghana, many young men and women are creating their own opportunities and in the process creating job opportunities for others too. 

 Simplifying daily tasks with computers excites me. The sheer joy I see on the faces of people when through technology they can perform certain task faster and smarter, and also giving them a competitive edge keeps me motivated daily. That’s my motivation for establishing this firm.

Simplifying daily tasks with computers excites me. The sheer joy I see on the faces of people when through technology they can perform certain task faster and smarter, and also giving them a competitive edge keeps me motivated daily. That’s my motivation for establishing this firm.

Isaac Ofori-Attah a 30year old man from…. is one of the 120 000 students who graduate from over a hundred tertiary institutions in Ghana every year. Of these graduates only 25% are absorbed into active employment while  the remaining 75% are left to either create their own opportunities or join the ‘unemployed graduates association’(A huge pull of human resources that is left to waste). Isaac Ofori-Attah  is one of the few who have chosen the tough unbeaten path of entrepreneurship. He is a graduate of the Ghana Telecom University’s Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology with an  additional Honors Diploma in IT from NIIT Ghana. In 2010 Isaac set up an IT consultancy firm, Step Microsystems at Bortiano in  Ghana’s capital Accra.  His firm offers intelligent software and hardware solutions to a variety of clients. Their products and services include customized software development, web design, programming and hosting computer network costing, installations, maintenance and hardware sales among other things.  According to Isaac, 

Isaac says the challenge he mostly faces is finding the right people to work with and the source for funding some of his projects. “The challenge that young entrepreneurs face in Ghana is that the currency is not so stable and then there is not easily available and accessible government agencies that help with business funding, support and advice”. Regardless of the  challenges, he has made some impressive strides locally expanding his business to online consumers purchasing software licenses in places beyond Ghana like Togo, Ivory Coast, and Liberia. This has enabled him to increase his profit by cutting operational cost  associated with labour.  Currently, StepMicrosystems has has been able to give internships and hands on practical experience opportunities to eight local IT students. The vision of the company is to  secure big corporations as clients while slowly expanding to cover the whole of Africa some day. Through these small steps the company is contributing to employment creation and shaping the economic outlook of Ghana. 


Kate Sem-Ackah, is Communication student from Ghana.  She is an educationist who has self publishes a fictional novel titled Break of Dawn.  Her passion is to explore and develop her knowledge on wide ranging topics.